Gastric Reflux and Ulcers
The definitive cause of ulcers is unknown, but we do know that there is a relationship between the gastric acid in the stomach and small intestine that can cause ulcers. Stress can propagate and make symptoms worse. Symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain
- Lack of appetite
Most ulcers are caused by Heliobacter pylori, which can be detected through a urea breath test.
Gastric reflux also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease can be caused by indigestion and imbalances in acid production. Treatment of reflux is based on the following goals:
- Address underlying autoimmune processes
- Dietary modifications to reduce impact on the body
- Ensuring optimal gut flora
- Manipulate excess acid production through supplementation and behaviors around eating
- Reduce inflammatory burden on the body
- Supplementation to manage symptoms and protect the digestive tract
Naturopathic doctors at the Nardella Clinic in Calgary can help patients test and treat their ulcers or gastric reflux.